Monday, February 2, 2009

erm... i think its called racist

once upon a time when i was working (not really, more like last week) there was this Arab man that walked into my shop.

"your highness Alicia, how do you know he was an Arab? you are living in a Malay country. and Arabs and Malays, like the Chinese, kinda look alike." some may ask

"because he looked like this." says i


as in the traditional clothes aren't hint enough, he has a big ole mustache(just like the one i added in) . so you tell me that's not an Arab. i don't stereotype. i just make obvious conclusions. moving on with my story

the Arab guy walked in right, my friend(who was working there, lets call her L Lawliet wtf) glanced up and quickly looked away almost immediately said

"do not look into his eyes." (in Chinese)

i was like, "huh?? are you serious??"

when he was closer to the counter L hissed "i tell you don't look into his eyes then don't look into his eyes la. will explain later" (in Chinese)

then the Arab guy started talking to us, seeing that we're employees. and L ignored him and didn't even look at him. i didn't know what to do and ignoring him seems rude so i talked to him. DUH.

EXCUSE ME HOW DO YOU TALK TO SOMEONE WITHOUT LOOKING INTO THEIR EYES?? call me weird but unless I'm on the phone or online using the mic i HAVE to look into someones eyes when I'm talking to them face to face. i tried looking over his shoulders at a shelf but then again I'm not having a conversation with the shelf right?

apparently he was walking around to collect donations for the Giza City war. and then when he left, L (who was ignoring our conversation) looked up and said "did you look into his eyes?omfg i told you not to look into his eyes you don't understand izit??"(in Chinese. haiya the following conversation

i thought this was weird. i thought i made a work faux-pas or something. but i really cant remember my Mrs boss saying that we're not allowed to look into a man who's wearing a turban in the eye. and then L said

"he'll use black magic to steal your money."

WHAT THE HELL. she just said that. then an auntie (glasses, big curly hair, whiny voice, and so on.) came out of an aisle and just joined in berating me on my (apparently) grave mistake.

"my friend aah, she passed all her money to an Arab man after looking at him in the eye" the auntie said.

excuse me lo. i don't bring much money to work la. wtf. he wants my money? I'm modern OK. heard of banks? yea, all most of my money is in one of them. last i heard they don't pass money to random Arabs or Chinese/Malays/aliens/angmohs either.

but that's not my point. superstition is now getting out of hand, so much so that it is now settled on racism. i mean seriously. not all freakin Arabs are terrorist or practice black magic. its hard to believe but some of them are actually nice.

random update. sheesh. will try to dutifully update in a few more days. toodles people~~

4 comments:

hana said...

oh for goodness sake.

does ppl still do that nowadays -roll eyes-

oh btw, so how much did you fork over?

Cia said...

yes. sadly barack obama is president of united states. not prime minister of fuckin tanah melayu. "ee!!! o lang!!"

erm... sadly i didnt hav money that day. spent it all on the available snacks. try to understand! besides. if i had the money i wud totally pass it over. i swear *shifty eyes* really!!

Tina Ling said...

lol.. silly one.. but seriously amusing.. two thumbs up for u lady..

Cia said...

HAII TINA!!!! wait, i don think any1 will visit this post's comments ANYMORE. in that case, HI SELF!! I'm on my way to tina's blog and spam her kao kao. SEE U LATER, SELF!!!